Saturday, September 25, 2004

We Need Good Children's Books To Teach These Kids How To Read!

This is a request that Christy and I recently sent out to teacher friends and family:

Hello dear teacher friends! Sawadee ka from Thailand!

I know many of you offered to send anything if we needed it so I am sending out a request....

Christy and I are finding that it is hard to find good books here!! (in English at least...)

We need stories that we can read to the kids and they will understand but yet have enough substance to do comprehension activities with as well as books that they might be able to soon read. Some ideas we had are:

I Spy series: (I brought a Hawai'i one here, and they love it!) I think they would love others too!
Frog and Toad series
Henry and Mudge series
Emergent Readers Science
Hello Readers - Level 1 or 2
I Can Read Book Series - Level 1 or 2
Step Into Reading Series - Beginning levels
Puffin Easy to Read Books
Little Bear Series
Dr. Seuss books
Any of the circle books like If You Give a Mouse a Cookie and all the renditions of this (ie: If you Give a Moose A Muffin)
I Know An Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly, and all the renditions of this story

Or any fun books that you think beginning English speakers would enjoy as a read aloud....so far a few books we have read are Caps for Sale, Chicka Chicka - Boom Boom, Brown Bear, Brown Bear, Down By the Bay just to give an idea of where they are. And they love and constantly recite all of these! We've come to realize that some books we have are too difficult content-wise and vocabulary-wise for them to understand, and some of our American books just aren't culturally appropriate. But, as they begin to learn more English words (you won't believe how many visual aids we have made - clip art is our friend!), and make connections to the Thai words, I know reading will get easier for them!

Any good kids' videos (on DVD) or books on tape would be good too. Sesame Street, Reading Rainbow, etc.

I think you could find all of these on Scholastic. I will warn you that it is pretty pricey to mail things here!! Also, the book rate is cheaper BUT might take 10 months to get here....even if they say only 1 month. It is better send things through the US Post Office rather than UPS or anything like this. Or, if you can figure out a way to get books to my mom in California or to Hawai'i, I will be going home during Thanksgiving to be in my cousin's wedding in Hawai'i, and I could bring some books back then!

My address here is:
Tanya Mau
c/o: Bamrung Wittaya School
78"25 Makara Rd.
Nakhon Pathom
Thailand
73000

Thank you, thank you in advance for being willing to invest in Thailand's future!! :)

I hope the beginning of your school years are going well!

A personal thanks to Auntie Shelley, Laurie, Chuck, Eric, Erin, and others who have already offered to help!



No comments: