Thursday, January 11, 2007

Planning

Thursday, 11 January 2007

I know it's been awhile since I've blogged, but let's just say it's been a busy start to the new year....and I have a feeling 2007 is just going to get busier.

I've been busy planning a luncheon for next month, and with work starting today, how did I spend it?? Well, working on all 43 report cards that I've put off these past three weeks since being on vacation. The students come back tomorrow for one day before the three day weekend. This weekend will be spent shopping, planning, and more planning. But, Chris and I do have a fun outing on Sunday night, going to listen to Blue October in concert (after they cancelled the concert because they were scared of the storm that hit us back in October.)

Hospice has been checking in with Dad each week since Christmas. He is pretty much dependent on the bi-pap machine in order to breathe. It helps him to breathe easier during the day, sleep through the night, helps him to talk, and helps give him more energy before bathing. The pulmonologist said if he gets a headache, then goes on the bi-pap, and then the headache goes away, then that's fine. It shows that it he needs the bi-pap machine to push out the carbon dioxide.

But, if he has a headache, goes on the bi-pap, and then the headache still doesn't go away and he starts getting drowsy, then that means the pressure needs to be higher on the bi-pap.

Yesterday, we lost one of our members of the support group to ALS. She had just signed up with hospice recently.

Hospice volunteers can help give us respite care, bathe Dad, and even will take him into a home with nurses, for a weekend, if my stepmom needs respite on the weekends.

That will be helpful as Bernice is now sick with a cold and is busy taking my stepsister Lindsey shopping for winter ball and prom dresses.

Today, I talked with one of my coworkers (who actually was my 4th grade teacher when I was in school) about Dad, and she reflected on how helpful hospice was when her mom was sick. It's a tough time, but she emphasized the importance of talking to your loved ones before they go. "Do you talk to your dad?" she asked me. "Yes."

Even through tough times, it's nice to be able to sit and talk with my dad, make plans, and continue to live each day to its fullest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tanya ~ Thank you for posting whenever you have been able to make the time. I appreciate being able to check in on your blog regularly to see how you and your family are managing, and how your dad is doing with the bi-pap and communicating, etc. It sounds like this is a very challenging time for all of you and I'm glad the Hospice seems to be giving you the kind of help that you each need.

If your dad is still reading your blog and the comments posted, he'll see this and know that I'm thinking of him and you all. If he is too tired to read or it is getting too difficult, please give him my aloha and Alan's, too. [By the way, the mens VB team is in Irvine and lost tonight, but I listened to Coach Wilton talking post-game on the radio about the way the team played. He was not unhappy with their effort. In fact, before the interview he went to the locker room to let them know he has confidence they are going to be a good team.

I hope your dad is able to enjoy watching the UH games on TV ~ BB and VB are definitely "on" and this weekend there are both.

Take care of each other,
Roz and Alan