Monday, January 29, 2007

The Case of The Missing Blogger



Monday, 29 January 2007

Well, it seems to be true that I have been missing a few blogs since 2007 started, not because I haven't wanted to write a few things, but mainly because my life has been super busy, so busy that I haven't even been doing Bikram yoga. Geez, what a slacker! (No, but really, I have better excuses than that.) My life has been consumed with the following (in no particular order):

1) Planning a wedding
2) Hunting a wild mother pig and baby piglets
3) Watching Dad
4) Making Invitations
5) Shopping
6) Trying to Sleep
7) Trying to Eat
8) Walking

To recap, 1) Yes, I have been planning a wedding...And, if all goes as planned, I will know that it is indeed possible to plan a wedding in 5 weeks.
2) For the past few weeks, or perhaps it's been a month, we have been rudely awakened by barking dogs and rustling in the bushes. Finally, I saw it with my own eyes. We have feral pigs (a brown sow and two black piglets) running around our property, eating avocadoes that have fallen from the tree, and making their way down the hill from about 7 pm to 2 am each night.
3) Watching Dad is the same routine. But of course not without some humorous stories. One day, after I showered and dried him, he instructed me to pull a chest hair and save it for myself. For what you might ask? "For DNA testing," he said. So in a labeled ziploc bag it went. This past weekend (1/27), he had difficulty being off the bi-pap machine for more than 40 minutes. So he didn't bathe that day. We may have to consider sponge baths in the very near future as his ability to sit upright without assisted breathing is getting extremely difficult and scary.
4) After daily trips (over a week) to Ben Franklin Crafts store and Kinko's and one late night of Miya and I gluing, embossing, and tying ribbon, the invites were finally mailed out. (And, as people are RSVPing, Dad is trying to see how many more he can invite. Yikes!)
5) Bridesmaid dresses, jewelry, little guys'outfits....
6) With the dogs and pigs waking us up at least once a night, sleeping soundly is hard to come by.
7) For about a month and a half, I had difficulty eating my favorite foods. I'm feeling better now.
8) Because I haven't been doing yoga and I have not been disciplined enough to do the video, I've tried to walk up and down the hill at least 3-4 times per week, sometimes with Kaliko by my side.

And, now who's wedding am I planning you might ask? Well, surprise, surprise...Yes, it is true. Chris and I are getting married on Saturday, February 17th, so that my dad can "walk me down the aisle". Since we're accelerating this for my dad, we can only invite family and close friends. I plan to have receptions later down the line in Hawai'i, Seattle, and California so that those that couldn't come on such short notice can attend and celebrate our new beginnings with us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tanya ~ How neat that you are planning your wedding so your Dad can come down the aisle with you to meet your future husband. John must be so glad for you and so proud that his being there is going to help make your special day even more so. Congratulations to you and Chris on taking the big step soon! We are so happy for you both.
Regarding the DNA testing on the hair, does that have to do with helping with the studies about why/how ALS happens to particular individuals, or ...? When we all met at McCoy the time Alan and I met you for the first time, I remember John mentioned the seeming tendency for sports people to develop ALS. I wonder if that's why he wants his DNA tested? Anyway, we want to say "hi" to John and send good vibes and encouragement as you all go through these times.
Love and aloha,
Roz and Alan

Teresa said...

Congratulations to you and Chris! I agree with your friend Roz; it is very wonderful and so moving to understand all the effort that you are going through to have your dad present on this special day in your lives.
On another note, I hope you are taking pictures of those pigs. And I thought having possums, raccoons and feral cats traipsing through the yard was living in the midst of wild life!