Monday, December 20, 2004

Celebrating Christmas Thai-Style

Tuesday, 21 December 2004

I wasn't sure if I'd be having a Christmas this year, living in a Buddhist country and all, but looks like teaching at a Christian school helps. Seems I'm going to have a bit of Christmas celebrating to look forward to......Thai style! This Thursday night, there is a special dinner at another school that they've bought me a ticket to. Then, Friday, Christmas Eve, we don't have any classes at school, but the students still come to celebrate with Christmas parties in their classrooms and we'll have special Christmas games and activities for all. This morning, two high school girls from our English Conversation Club, came to read me specially written (and beautifully handmade) invitations inviting "Miss Tanya" to a Christmas Eve party at 12 am. I'm thinking they meant 12 noon (The Thai clock will mess you up that way.), and it's probably a Christmas party in their classroom on Friday. I will make sure with their teacher. It was really cute, and they even had me sign their invitation, even though I wanted to keep them because they were so cute! That night, our church and staff will go Christmas caroling around the neighborhood. I've been told that in years past, Christmas caroling can last from 6 pm that night until 6 am the next morning! I wondered why, but then found out that when you visit each house, after singing, they cook you homemade Thai food, and you eat before going on to the next house. So, I'll be feasting and singing on Friday night!

That night, when we stop at Ajarn Linda's house, the American professor who sort of mentors and assists us here, I will stay overnight at her house, so that I can wake up Christmas morning with her family. Another friend of hers comes from Southern Thailand to do the same thing. Guess he misses waking up with a family on Christmas too! We'll eat blueberry pancakes after opening gifts, and lounge around. Christmas night, there is a Christmas service at our school church and a Christmas dinner.

On December 29th, our school will have a special Christmas celebration and dinner. We each bring a gift for a gift exchange, not more than 100 baht ($2.50). I'm so excited for Christmas now that I know we'll be celebrating a bit. Our classroom is decorated, and I'll be teaching our English Club students Christmas songs. Plus, I'm looking forward to receiving my care packages in the mail sometime next week!

No comments: