Wednesday, December 15, 2004

English Performance at Christian University

Thursday, 16 December 2004

True to Thai culture and custom of miscommunication arising and things being last minute, I find out about an event that will be taking place on Saturday...I think. Matt had explained that Phu's father wanted to take our students to a Christmas show at Christian University, a small private university located in our province. But, he wanted to know soon whether we would be able to participate. There was confusion over the day and the time. At first she said it was next Wednesday. I told her she would have to check with our director first, and I wanted to make sure what this was, the purpose, etc. Yesterday morning, she says she told Phu's father okay. And, I said, what? Wait, what is this again? She said, Saturday, a Christmas show, and the students will sing "Over in the Meadow," like they did at the Loi Krathong festival last month. She had misunderstood the date and time before. Our principal talked to us at lunch time, and sure enough it's a go. Apparently, Phu's father is in a PhD program at Christian University and suggested to his colleagues that our English Program students participate in their annual Christmas show this Saturday. So, this Saturday, at 6 pm, we will be performing on stage in front of college students and families. They want more English conversation to be presented, so right now, I am printing out a script that Ajarn Ong-Ard helped create, to have the students show off their English skills. They will dress up in their animal costumes and sing "Over in the Meadow" like they performed before. This is all for "advertising" our English Program. Since Christy will be out of town for the next week traveling with her parents, this performance is on me. So forget Social Studies today and Math tomorrow. I know what we'll be practicing! And, I guess I know what my plans are for Saturday night as well!

No comments: