Monday, January 24, 2005

As a Tourist in Bangkok

Sunday, 23 January 2005

Minutes after reading about Wattana School in Carol Hollinger's (who coincidentally happens to be from Hawai'i too!) account of her living and teaching experiences in Bangkok- in her book entitled "Mai Pen Rai means Never Mind"- we were sitting at Wattana Church for Sunday service. All the headphones were taken, so I couldn't listen to the translated English service, so once again had to listen for the few words I could pick out here and there - mainly numbers. Had McDonald's (at Jun's request, not mine) for lunch, and I have to admit, it was nice to eat some french fries. They taste the same here in Thailand, except they have an added dipping sauce, chili sweet sauce!

We drove through the dense traffic of Bangkok to get to Wat Pra Kaew, the Grand Palace, and took some beautiful pictures. Initially we entered through the "Thai only" entrance, but the guard was clever and spotted me out as a "farang". He asked, "Khun Thai?" ("Thai people?"), and I said "Chai ka" (yes), but perhaps my sunglasses (I forgot Thai people don't wear sunglasses) and my camera bag were a giveaway for being a tourist. He promptly pointed to the correct entrance and line I had to go to "for tourists" and told me I had to borrow some shoes. It is rude to show your toes in temples, and although my pink slip on heels were cute, he wasn't gonna have it (although it is okay for Thai people to dress this way. So I went and bought 15 baht gray socks and put a deposit down to borrow clunky orange and black reef shoes. All I needed was a snorkel and I'd be set! (I reminded Ajarn Suthep, Jun's father, not to take any full length pictures today, but he paid my 250 baht entry fee, so I suppose I shouldn't complain.) It was quite humorous though.

After a wonderful walk through the temple grounds, we were all tired, hot and sticky, and ready for naps, of course, after the nearly hour and a half drive through Bangkok traffic to get home. I was tired, but needed a little pick me up, so I dragged a 6 year old to the swimming pool. Yes, I had to actually drag Jun to accompany me to their community pool down the street. My shoddy Thai and not being a resident there were factors in that, but he didn't want to swim because he is getting over a cold, and so he had fun coaching me as I swam laps and entertained him with his "starfish pose" (face down, spread eagle pose in the water).

We went to dinner at a popular INDOOR restaurant (I'm so used to eating at street vendors outside) where they specialize in ostrich, from the ostrich farm in Nakhon Ratchasima, a province a few hours away, where Tik is from. On the way there, Jun and his father tried to explain to me what it was (as they didn't know the English word). Jun said, "It's a bird that runs very fast, but does not fly. It has black feathers and a long neck." I had some barbeque skewers. It was actually really delicious.

I told P'Maiy and Ajarn Suthep last night about my early return to America, and although they were sad to hear the news, they were trying to convince me all night to sell all my things in Seattle, buy a house in Thailand, and then I can still teach at Bamrung Wittaya and go home to Hawai'i for vacations. Back at their house, we enjoyed a box of Chinese wedding pastries and looked at pictures with Jeab and Aek (who did not go on a honeymoon, as they have to go back to work in the morning). I had a restless sleep, as I was constantly mosquito bitten throughout the night - even though I had my racquet zapper to protect me (I'm investing in one of these soon and bringing one home to Hawai'i.) Left the house at 6:30 am Monday so we could get to Nakhon Pathom by 7:30 am all ready for school!

I had a busy, fun weekend with Jun's family and friends. It's nice to get away from Nakhon Pathom where I live and teach everyday. Throughout the whole weekend, they treated me to everything, and although I offered to pay many times, they were true to Carol Hollinger's account of the generosity and kindness of Thai people, and would always say "Mai pen rai!".

No comments: