Saturday, January 22, 2005

A Graduation Ceremony, a Wedding, and a Chinese Dinner

Saturday, 22 January 2005

Found out I had to wake up at 4 am this morning to head to Na's graduation ceremony to take pictures. Na is one of my student's (Jun's) cousin. She graduated from Assumption University last year, but they are only taking pictures and giving out certificates now (Thai time, go figure!) We chat over email and IM and have hung out together when I stay at Jun's house in Bangkok. I had the option of accompanying her and P'Maiy to the salon to get her hair and make up done at 3 am, but I opted for sleep instead, as 4 is already early enough as is. We were at relatives' house at 5ish, and then hopped in several taxis to take us to Queen Sirikit National Convention Center. After the MRT underground subway crashed last week, they decided on taking cabs instead of public transportation. I couldn't believe the amount of people up and about, people selling flowers and stuffed animals and balloons, and hundreds of families dressed in their finest Thai traditional dresses in all sorts of vibrant colors, taking graduation photos at 6 am! It was beautiful though, as the flags and the lights were really a wonderful backdrop before the sun came up. After chatting with Na's cousins, from Yala and Pattani, who also speak good English, we headed for another province, Ratchaburi at 7 am.

I was invited to Jeab and Aek's wedding (friends of P'Maiy's whom I have also hung out with when I stay in Bangkok). The traditional wedding ceremony was at her family's house, in her living room, where I poured water over their hands as part of the traditional ceremony of wishing them good luck (at least that's what I think it was for, as they told me not to say anything in Thai and just say "Good Luck" in English). There were some different rituals that I had never seen before at Thai weddings (This is my 3rd one I've attended so far, and have a couple more coming up!). We headed to the banquet hall afterwards for the typical seven course Chinese meal, took pictures, and received our favors, the flower candles from Ko Kret that I visited with them before.

Tonight, I stuffed myself with more Chinese food, this time a 10 course Chinese meal, which I have to say is way too much food. After about dish number 7, all the plates of fish, soup, and duck remained virtually untouched. But, all managed to eat the delicious fried red bean paste for dessert! It was fun to see all the cousins (all in their 20's) having a good time. Reminded me of my family get-togethers with my Chinese family in California - loud and fun.

No comments: