Monday, February 28, 2005

Saying Goodbye

Sunday, 27 February 2005

After listening to a Thai cover band sing American pop songs in an Irish pub in Thailand (now that's not odd at all), bar hopping, and trying to avoid the weirdos on Khao San Road, by the time 4:15 am hit, Tess and Cathy were about ready just to head to the air-conditioned airport. Soon after, I sent them off in a taxi, a bit stressed as we couldn't locate Erin. Fifteen minutes after they left, I sent Erin off in a taxi, so they could all make their 7 am flight back to Seattle. Then I tried to get some sleep in the guesthouse, amidst the noise, nasty smells, and drunks on Khao San Road. Traveling (and backpacking) can be stressful when you're running around, trying to make times, trying to coordinate travel (and we definitely got a sample of it all this trip), and making the most of your days in the short time you have. But, it was definitely fun, and I enjoyed trying to use my Thai (many Thais at the beaches actually thought I was Thai and complimented me on my Thai accent), and showing friends the beautiful place and culture I've been living in over the past seven months. I think they're all jazzed about coming back to Thailand again one day, and I for sure will miss it when I leave.

Tess and I came up with our own Thailand guidebook title: "Padlocks, Baby Powder, and Cover Bands"........

Don't ask.........

No comments: