Sunday, October 23, 2005

Hawai'i International Film Festival

Sunday, 23 October 2005

The Hawai'i International Film Festival started on Thursday. This weekend started out with going to dinner at a funky Japanese restaurant called Shokudo on Friday night. I haven't seen Erica since high school so it was fun to catch up and girl talk. Went out with my brother Jay and his friends afterwards and hit a few bars/clubs. But I couldn't eat or drink anything as I was having bloodwork done the next morning.

After I got a clean bill of health from the doctor, with good glucose and cholesterol levels, I went with my Uncle Gary and Aunty Stevi to watch "American Fusion", a movie about an interracial couple who struggle with cultural differences and family issues. That night, I went back with friends to watch a documentary called "What's Wrong With Frank Chin?", which focused on the controversial Chinese American writer, Asian stereotypes and images portrayed in theater and literature. It was interesting to see University of Washington professors and revisit familiar literature that I read when I was an American Ethnic Studies major at UW.

Today, I went to Dad's to spend the day with him since my stepmom had to take my stepsister Lindsey to a basketball clinic all day. We read the paper and watched TV. In the afternoon, Uncle Gary and Auntie Stevi picked me up to go to another film festival movie. We saw "Sa-Kwa", a Korean romance movie....Korean shows are very popular here. It was a bit drawn out and predictable, but always fun to see a different movie from the mainstream Hollywood flicks.

I wish I could fit more movies in this week before the film festival closes, but I don't think I can fit it in with Thai classes, yoga, and Halloween right around the corner.

No comments: