Thursday, August 12, 2004

The Queen's Birthday

Last night, we all dressed in our new special blue collared shirts and black pants to attend Pra Pathom Chedi for the Queen's Birthday celebration. I learned that we wore blue shirts because the queen was born on a Friday. Each day of the week has an assigned color in Thailand. Hundreds of people were there organized in lines, four people in each row, and dressed in similar uniforms. We held candles, and as our organization was announced, a few of us were chosen to walk up to the Queen's altar, where a huge picture of her was standing. The English Program teachers were chosen as those few to walk up, put flowers on the altar, and wai the Queen's picture. It was a special honor. We took pictures, and sang the national anthem as everyone's candles were lit, and then there were beautiful fireworks that went off in the sky. I am told that the King's birthday in December has a similar ceremony, but is a more grand event.

After the ceremony, about ten of us (If Jill or I need to go somewhere, the driver takes everyone in the car) went to the Big C, which I was told is like a K-Mart. Well, the Big C was more like a supermall! The parking lot was a zoo at 9 o'clock at night, and there were cell phone stores everywhere, a big food court, and then the groceries and store area (clothing, electronics, housewares, etc.), which was like a K-Mart or Target store. Some people helped me find things like an alarm clock, rice, corn flakes, Nestle brand orange juice and yogurt, and other toiletries. They will take me back next week to get speakers for my cd player and a cell phone. There really is everything there! I was amazed! And I spent only about $20 on my groceries.

This morning, Jill and I only worked until lunch, because we will drive off with some other teachers to Chonburi, a city southeast of Bangkok, on the border of Thailand. We will attend a school academic competition with some students.

Interesting routines at school...

Each morning from 8:00 to 8:20 am, the whole school gathers on the courtyard, with the boys in one line and the girls in one line for each class. A small student band plays music as we all face the flag and then turn east to pay respects to the King and sing the national anthem, then the school song, and a prayer. Finally, my favorite part, is when three girls go up to a platform, and as music is played over the loudspeaker, they lead us in a series of exercises for about 5 minutes. It is my jazzercise for the day!

Okay, off to Chonburi!



No comments: