Sunday, August 22, 2004

Shopping Spree

Sunday, 22nd August 2004

I worked in the classroom a bit this morning, and then at 10:30 am, Jill and I went to church. We went to the chapel on the other part of our school campus down the street. The church was packed with Christian University students (most of whom are not actually Christian, but this is the only private university in Nakhon Pathom, and if students do not get into the public government universities in Bangkok, this is where they go.) who had to come to service and interview members of the congregation and write a 5 page paper.

Although the entire service was in Thai, and I tried to use my battery operated little fan I bought yesterday at the temples to keep cool, it was interesting and hot. At the end of the hour and a half service, the pastor introduced me as the new English teacher, and then we all had lunch. It is customary that they serve lunch to the members of the congregation. We spoke to Linda Sukarat, the English advisor, a bit about American politics and Farenheit 9/11. Then Jill and I left to run errands. I bought my first Thai music cd. Much of the music people listen to is too pop-like for my listening pleasure, but I decided to try a cd of dance tunes out. All of the cd's here are regularly priced for about $3 anyway, so I figured I could at least try it out.

Later in the afternoon, Ku Ai and Won Dee picked us up to take a tour of Christian University and then we met about ten others for dinner at another cook-it yourself place. I'm loving these all you can eat places. I stayed away from the meat that looked like gray pasta tubes hopping off the pan (I found out they were pig colon.)

After dinner, we walked out of the outdoor restaurant to find an elephant there, and you could buy sugar cane to feed it. I had to take a picture of Pi Boom's daughter Peem feeding the elephant. The best part about the elephant was that they even tie a reflector to the back of its tail. After all, it was pretty dark out, and we were in the middle of a parking lot.

We then went to Tesco Lotus, a huge department store like Big C. I went on a shopping spree and bought some work clothes (a couple blouses and three skirts) and 2 wallets (because I couldn't decide on one, and I haven't had one since I've been here), all for about $18.

We headed home, and now I have to do some prep work for tomorrow. There is a band practicing music in our auditorium right now, so at least I have some entertainment to keep me busy.

No comments: