Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Dave visits Dad


Wednesday, 14 March 2007

You know a true friend when.......

"Uncle" Dave, who took pictures at my wedding, came over to drop off "The Secret" (the new controversial book/seminar/phenomenon recently featured on Oprah, Larry King, and many news stations for its positive thinking...If you think good thoughts, you can get what you want. Some argue that it's dangerous for people who think they may not get a serious illness or get better from one if they only think good thoughts. What if they DO get sick? They may feel guilty for thinking wrongly and get pushed into negativity instead. Dad has yet to watch the DVDs Dave copied for him.)for Dad. Dave shared his love of photography with dad by doing an impromptu photo shoot of sorts, taking black and white pictures as we continued with our routine of things: drinking water, Dad navigating the internet with his stick mouse in the mouth, and toileting and bathing. He wanted merely to document pictures for dad and the family.

Most importantly though, Dave talked to Dad for over an hour, about everything from politics to family life to living with ALS to not taking things for granted. He said that he hopes his own kids will take care of him as well as my brother and I do if he ever gets stricken with an illness like Dad's. Dad reassured him that they would, for "They have to learn that life comes with good and bad. You have to know how to deal with the bad, too." Dad looked at me when he said that and told me to remember that statement for his eulogy.

Before he left, Dad told Dave that he loved him, and when I looked at him, he had watery eyes. After I wiped his eyes, Dad told me that he always knew that Dave would be a good friend. It was 40 years ago that they first met, when Dad was designated as Dave's mentor and Dave was a new pledge for the college fraternity my dad belonged to, Peng Hui. Dad told me how they both shared similar values, outlooks on life, and the love of photography. They listened to each other, and Dad always knew that he would have Dave's support throughout his life.

You can't find a better friend than that. Thanks for everything, Uncle Dave!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My thanks and utmost admiration to your dad, Jason and you for your love and dedication. I am truly blessed by knowing your family. John has always been one of my heroes and I love and respect him more now than ever.