Thursday, March 22, 2007

A Spring Break Full of Changes

Thursday, 22 March 2007

After finishing a lot of our spring cleaning last weekend (cleaning the screens in the windows and dusty, dusty rooms), we had to make room again (another excuse to clean the living room in about one hour's time)for my Dad and all of his medical supplies. Yes, he's here at our house now, and it should be a permanent move. My brother and I can now manage his care how we want, with his best interests in mind, making sure he is comfortable and can have his friends visit whenever they want.

Although bathing (which took place on the lanai today with the dog at his heels and a race to finish before the cold rain fell) is not as comfortable as a roll-in shower, and now he is not as accessible to go places (as my brother already had to carry him down on his back....down our 85 stairs from car door to front door...and I don't think he will be carrying him back and forth unless absolutely necessary), his brothers are close by and hung out at the house today, and he gets to be in his own house....the house he raised us in, the stairs which he built with his own two hands (which, by the way, he had no problem commenting to us on which stairs needed to be fixed as he stared at them from Jay's shoulder as he came down the stairs yesterday), and the yard which....well, let's just say the yard is not in its landscaped condition it used to be when he lived here five years ago. But, it's still there.

The only thing that sucks right now is that I'm dealing with an awful cold that has me peeing in my pants everytime I sneeze and cough (a symptom of being pregnant, not being incontinent). Also, I can't really lift and help out with heavy things, although I sure was exhausted yesterday when we had to move all of Dad's necessary belongings and things up and down to our house.

It'll be good though. It's good to have Dad home.

No comments: