Sunday, November 12, 2006

Celebrating New Beginnings

Thursday, 9 November 2006

Nicholas' first circus was Hawai'i's version of the Cirque du Soleil. Tonight, I took Miya and her nephew Nicholas to see the Cirque Hawai'i show in Waikiki, compliments of my friend Joel. It was great the second time around, and we were close up, so when they did acrobatic tricks over our heads, it was quite exciting! Joel and I tried to guess at how they did the magician stuff. Still can't figure out how they do it! The best part of the evening was watching Nicholas' expressions as he was in awe of all of the dancers and performers in the show. As a performer himself, this five-year old loves to put on a show, whether it be playing charades with us adults or just being his active kindergarten self. I think he had a fabulous time. The pictures prove it.

Friday, 10 November 2006

Veterans' Day Holiday was spent going to yoga in the morning, then relaxing at Chris' house. We went to Ala Moana so he could pick up his tux and get a haircut, then he went to meet some friends for dinner. Another new beginning was the nightclub Pearl. We had been wanting to check it out for awhile now, and what a perfect reason to celebrate Erica's birthday! We finally met her boyfriend Bruce, who is her partner in crime, now that they have recently opened a fashion retail store together. He is really nice, easy to talk to, and has a great sense of humor. We danced, drank, and commented on how the new club is overrated and too expensive.

Saturday, 11 November 2006

Early morning yoga for me, and bike riding for Chris which is his usual Saturday routine. It was a domestic day for me, with laundry, grocery shopping, and tutoring at Angela's, etc. Angela's mom is great and always cooks lunch for me. This is a new beginning for me, as I get paid to tutor my student plus get a delicious homecooked lunch each Saturday! Today, we had Korean bi bim pap today with gyoza, miso soup, and popsicle and cookies for dessert. We got Angela ready for her pool date with friends, then I went to school to get some busy work done. Chris came over and we went to dinner at Verbano's for some yummy Italian food and rented a movie.

Sunday, 12 November 2006

7 am yoga again followed by washing the car, as is my Sunday ritual. Chris and I ate breakfast, then stopped by the Diamond Head Arts & Crafts Fair at Kapi'olani Community College. We visited his mom's booth (She makes coasters and tropical vases.), and walked around a little until he had to go home and get ready for the wedding. He grabbed his tux and off he went to meet the best man (who just happens to be my ex). I teased Chris the whole time about how hot it was going to be in the sweltering humidity, with pictures in the mid-afternoon and a late afternoon outdoor ceremony. I ate lunch at home, then headed back into the heat myself to finish shopping at the craft fair. I bought some Christmas presents and walked around with Chris' mom. Ran into some of my dad's friends from the Parks & Rec and chatted with them about my dad. When the fair ended at 3 pm, I helped Chris' mom and dad break down the booth and tents, pack the coasters away, and load up their cars. (Looks like a new beginning for me, as I have now been recruited to replace Chris after 25 years of helping, since his parents told him that I am a more efficient packer than him.....Chris, is more than happy to hand off said duties.)

Went home to take a much needed shower and got ready for Erica & Bruce's grand opening gala for their store, Split Obsession. As the 'event photographer' for the evening (All of my friends know that I am just camera happy, so why not make it a job?), I got there promptly at 6 pm. Her family was helping to set up pupus and drinks outside. The first hour or so was a shopping frenzy, as lots of friends and passerbyers came by to check out the new fashion scene. There was a line of people waiting to purchase their reasonable clothing from trendy cities such as San Francisco, L.A., and Seattle. And lots more looked at the funky art and toys as conversation pieces. Eventually, many mingled outside for some snacks. Throughout the night, people came by to give Erica and Bruce leis and gifts to congratulate them on their successful store opening (which actually opened in October). Even, Bubbies Ice Cream from next store, came by to give us a whole tray assortment of mochi ice cream to enjoy!

I had been stashing some clothes aside for myself, so I could try them on later after the crowd died down. After 8 pm, I was ready to try on my finds! Erica helped me tie me in the clothes, and I played fashion show for those that were around. It was so hard to decide what to get, so why not get it all? As I was trying clothes on, Erica joked that they might need me to model for the store and work part-time with them because everything fit me. Now, that's dangerous! With a dress, a couple of blouses, a t-shirt, and belt, I finally decided what to buy, but only after having moments of buyer's remorse and telling them that I guess this would be Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas to myself.

As they were ringing me up, Bruce asked me what Chris' address was. I wasn't sure of the street address at all, but they figured it out, and then handed me the bag and said, "Happy Birthday...from Chris!"...What!??! I was so confused! Then, they started laughing, and Erica told me that Chris had called them earlier that afternoon and left them his credit card number and told them to charge my purchases on his card as an early birthday present. It was very sneaky, and so generous of Chris! What a wonderful boyfriend I have! Chris just laughed at the end of the night when he discovered how surprised I was (and he said that's it for the year, because he's all out of creative surprises...and probably money...HA!).

Plus, that's pretty trusting of him, since I last remarked to him that I loved all of their merchandise so much that I would buy the whole store! Spoke to Chris at the end of the evening, after the wedding finished after 11 pm, and heard how the wedding was, and how the "talk with Steve (my ex)" went. Sounds like it went well, they were both mature adults, and sounds like Steve has grown up as well. So, that's a weight off of our shoulders. Even though it's been 12 years since I dated Steve, and Steve is now married, we had a turbulent relationship. Chris and I wanted to make sure that Steve heard it from Chris himself (especially since they have been friends and coworkers for so long) that we are seriously dating each other. So, all went well, and Chris caught him up on my family and what I've been up to since I moved here.

Spending time with friends, and celebrating new beginnings, seemed to be the theme of this weekend, and it turned out to be an awesome weekend for sure.

No comments: