Sunday, November 19, 2006

Off to the Circus (and no, it's not my house)

Friday, 17 November 2006

Chris and I took his friends to the airport and then we had dinner at Anna Miller's, a good 'ole homecooking restaurant. I probably hadn't been there since high school!

Saturday, 18 November 2006

Yogacised in the morning, tutored, went grocery shopping, and then had a surprise visit from friends Kai and Jason who were driving by my house. We chatted about houses and then, about ten minutes after they left, I waved at them with a surfboard as they searched for me from across the way, at the other ridge, St. Louis Heights, while they tried to find me and my house. Tonight, Chris took me to the circus.

The Circus was a blast! Circus Oz, a troupe from Australia, performed at Hawai'i Theatre downtown. It was very child-oriented, but with enough adult humor to keep the adults entertained. I walked away with a greater respect for the athleticism and strength of acrobats. The most impressive act was when these acrobats jumped up on a pole and climbed up the pole like a bunch of monkeys. They would turn around and hold their bodies in poses while hanging sideways, just hanging on by their ankles, fifty feet up from the ground. It was more exciting than it sounds. The hula hooping, contortionist squeezing herself into a box, and the same woman bouncing and juggling balls, were my other favorite acts. There were only about ten performers, but they all did a multitude of things. Probably the most bizarre things were the strong woman (who could hold a 220 pound guy on her stomach along with six other people balancing on her simultaneously, as well as have cement cinderblocks broken on her stomach with a sledgehammer while she was in a backbend), and that same 220 pound guy (who had an awful mullet wig I might add) doing tricks on a BMX bike.

Throughout the performance, I thought of SCATS of course and wondered if Ms. T has seen this Australian troupe. They're quite talented, and it's a totally different show from Cirque du Soleil. It reminded me of a more authentic circus experience, minus the animals of course.

No comments: