Monday, September 05, 2005

The MDA Telethon

Monday, 5 September 2005

Today I spent the day in the KITV 4 studios for the MDA Telethon. I went early, around 8 am and stayed until 5 pm. There were so many volunteers that they didn't really need my help, but it was good to network with people, meet other families and clients associated with MDA, and see how the telethon works. Twenty minutes out of each hour was the local broadcast. During this time, they showed vignettes of different families, from little two-year old Ava (the daughter of a disc jockey and Kamehameha school graduate) who has the fatal spinal muscular atrophy disease, to my dad, a 58 year old coping with ALS, otherwise known as Lou Gherig's disease. People thanked me for my honest testimony and many cried when they watched my dad's story. It was pretty powerful. Many came up to us after the additional live interview and wanted to offer their support of encouraging words and/or supplies from taking care of their loved ones in the past. I think Hawai'i ended up with over $330,000 in pledges for MDA today. Thank you to those out there who supported Muscular Dystrophy Association today. It helps many children, adults, and families out there who are coping with these incurable diseases, and provides hope for the future.

No comments: