Monday, September 12, 2005

Passat Thai Again

Monday, 12 September 2005

Tonight, I decided to sign up for an Adult Education Thai language class. It meets two evenings a week. My dad offered to pay the $40 cost so I could continue my learning Thai. Of course, when I got there, the teacher was late (which is so Thai!) and the class was predominately male (learning the language because they have or will have girlfriends or wives in Thailand...crazy I tell ya!). Besides that, there were four of us girls, me, another girl traveling to Thailand in January, another taking the class so she can converse with her Thai friends, and a Thai American girl whose first language was Thai, but she grew up speaking English.

It was 2 1/2 hours of Thai grammar, verbs, adjectives, and nouns, learning tones along the way, with the Khun Thook's dry sense of humor. It was a good class, and at least I understand and can speak a little Thai. This class will help me to learn it the correct way and practice more.

I start teaching the students in my ESLL class tomorrow. Too bad there aren't any Thai kids here in Hawai'i!

No comments: