Saturday, October 02, 2004

Running for Exercise, or Running Away?

Saturday, 2 October 2004

I have been searching for a ticket online to Hawai'i for the past couple of days so that I can go home for my best friend Miya's wedding. I think I found one today for a reasonable price (cheaper than what I paid from Seattle last time!), but I just need to make sure the ticket is legit and all.

I went for a run this afternoon at 5 pm because 1) I've been saying I'm going to run, and I've been putting it off, and 2) I've been needing to get some energy out. So, I headed out in true Nakhon Pathom conservative clothing style (believe me, if I could wear shorts and a tank top I would, but the teachers start teasing me and say, "Oooh Sexy!" when I wear a sleeveless shirt and pants, so I dressed appropriately....long running pants and a long sleeved shirt (just in case it rained too). I ran towards the chedi and around to the night market, then back towards the chedi where there were a few busloads of tourists, the most farangs I have seen in this town in awhile. I ran once around the chedi, past a men's soccer scrimmage going on, and then headed down the alley by the photo shop. As I turned the corner, there was a guy peeing against the wall, and then I turned another corner, and the wild dogs started barking at me and biting at my heels. I'm not sure if they knew I was running or if they thought I was playing. I got some bewildered looks from storefront owners and children playing in the streets. You don't see too many people out for a jog or run. But, I felt energized and good, so I'm glad I did it.

Got home and took a shower, and Ku Ai was waiting outside to see if we wanted to join his father and mother and the board for dinner. Phu's parents were already waiting to take us out to dinner, so we just hopped on Ku Ai's moto to meet and greet the board president, the vice president of Christian University and other administration members. Then, we headed back to meet Phu and his family. Earlier, Phu, all suited up in his Spiderman outfit once again, greeted us at the door holding his dad's cell phone camera and said, "May I take your picture please?" and then said, "Smiley face!" as we posed for the picture. It was cute.

We went to the same Vietnamese restaurant they took me to before, walked around Sanam Chandra, and then finished off with ice cream at Swensen's (yes the same San Francisco chain!). They offered us their bicycles to use (we'd have to fix one) and we talked about his father's business trips to Germany, Australia, and Cambodia. Once is started to thunder, lightning, and downpour, and Phu was getting sleepy, we decided to go home. Crazy thing is, in our whole evening we spent with Phu and his parents, not once did a conversation about Phu come up! And that was the whole purpose of this meeting! Oh well!

No comments: