Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Are we ever going to make it to the beach??!?!

Saturday, 19 February 2005

One of my student's uncles was waiting for the same train as us, and turns out there was a broken diesel car in Bangkok, so they kept delaying the trains. Since our 9 pm train didn't show up until 3 am this morning, we made "home" in the train station (even though I yearned for my hot shower and comforts of my home only a few minutes away), brushing my teeth and washing my face on the sidewalk, batting away mosquitoes and avoiding the occasional bat flying by. We were all exhausted and hadn't showered, and were ready to give up, as the Thai at the train station kept telling me, "5 minutes, sure, sure," about every hour I inquired as to the train's whereabouts. Funny thing is, when we finally heard the clanging of the bell and a train pull up at about 3 am, we were all stunned and weren't quite sure what to do. How are you supposed to know where to go when the train gets there? A conductor helped us find the correct sleeper car, we found our bunk beds and climbed up to the upper beds. I took a little something to help me fall asleep in the rocky train ride, and woke up 6 hours later. All four of us enjoyed hanging out between the two cars and watching the scenery go by. We arrived in Surat Thani at 1 pm. The train ride was worth the wait, and we were this much closer to the beach!!!

No comments: