Wednesday, March 09, 2005

I Should Just Write My Own Motorcycle Diaries...

Wednesday, 9 March 2005

Have you ever been on a roller coaster ride before where your face is so tight that your cheeks are flying behind you, you have to hold your baseball cap so that it doesn't fly off, and you are jerking side to side, going, what feels like, 80 mph?!? Well, that's happened tonight, except that I wasn't on a roller coaster. I was on a motorcycle taxi with the taxi driver. We were a little suspicious at first when the taxi driver only took me on his bike, and told Christy and Aw to go on the other bike together (and Christy says, "Why does he want to put the two big people on one bike?). As we pulled away from the curb, after a night of shopping at the night market near Whale Hotel, and I sped past them (and a motorcycle - car wreck while we were at it), I realized I was in for a ride. We sped past motorcycles, cars, through intersections like we were on a high speed car chase, and got to the Bamrung Wittaya School gate about a good three minutes before Aw and Christy arrived on their moto. Although I was holding my new cap on my head with one hand, and had my bag of purchases in the other hand, I thought perhaps I should hold on to the bike itself. But, I had a huge grin on my face the whole time, and I told the driver it was a lot of fun when I got off the bike. Funny thing is, I never feel unsafe with a moto taxi driver...I think they're crazy and aggressive drivers, yes, but they know what they are doing, and this one tonight knew he was going to take this girl for an exciting ride!

No comments: