Thursday, November 17, 2005

"Pride and Prejudice"

Thursday, 17 November 2005

Auntie Cynthia, Jimmy's wife, whom I haven't since I was a toddler came to visit from California. My cousin Ryan, whom I just got reacquainted with at another cousin's wedding last year, also brought his fiance to visit. They all will come to honor my dad at the Muscular Dystrophy Association Dinner this Saturday evening. It is a black-tie event, and if you know Hawai'i, "aloha attire" is as formal as people get for events. So, my brother and dad have had to do some clothes shopping and are wiping the cobwebs off the only suit and tie they own. My dad hardly wears shoes anymore now that his feet are so swollen all the time. We might have to force some dress shoes on his feet, as he has to do a speech when he receives the 'Courage Award', an award given to a courageous individual coping with ALS, Lou Gherig's Disease.

Today, Jay took Dad shopping so he could look for a 50's hat (The MDA dinner is also having a 50's theme, so you can come dressed in black tie or 50's attire.). I went to visit baby Taiga and have lunch with Miya and her dad. Miya was exhausted from her sleepless evening with the baby, so after eating, I helped put the baby to sleep so she could rest. She is realizing how much work it takes to take care of a baby and is learning how selfless you must be when you are a parent.

Tonight, I had planned to go with Dad and the family to watch the Wahine volleyball game, but changed my mine after Bernie (my stepmom) offered sneak preview tickets to "Pride and Prejudice". My dad was surprised that I went with my stepmom, but it turned out to be a nice time for us to have some stepmother-stepdaughter bonding time and "talk" for the first time since I've been home. We also talked about the Thanksgiving dinner I am helping to coordinate at their house. Pride and prejudices aside, it was a good time. And the movie was really good as well.

No comments: