Tuesday, January 10, 2006

The Rewards of Teaching

Tuesday, 10 January 2006

This morning, my 6th grade student came in at 7:30 am and asked to do some work. Since the beginning of the year, it has been like pulling teeth with this particular student, so I was quite surprised that he was so eager to do work, BEFORE school even started! Yet, at the end of last quarter I did start a behavior incentive reward thing with him, and we have developed a good rapport so I know he's been trying hard to do better in school.

He sat down nicely, and then asked, "Where's my work?" I thought he wanted to do homework, but he said no, he wanted to do ESLL work. So, I asked him to write his final copy of a story we started the day before. I had bought him a hash brown for breakfast, and went to prep some work. When I came back, he had finished copying his whole entire story, plus did extra work. I was quite impressed!

Marissa' parents flew in from Seattle for a short Hawaiian holiday, so I met them at the airport to pick up a box of teaching stuff Marissa packed for me. Thanks for the Trader Joe's treats too, Marissa!

No comments: