Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Checking Up And Checking In

Tuesday, 17 April 2007

I had doctor's appointments today. Got ultrasound pictures of "Junior" with his legs crossed, but he was facing downwards today, so didn't get a look at his face. At one point, his hands and feet were over his head. Must be the yogi in him. His heart rate was 124 beats per minute, and he is a healthy 1 pound 9 ounces at today's 24-25 week checkup. My cervix measurements are still fluctuating, and I'm still able to handle the "abundance" of fluid (must be all those Nalgene bottles I drink daily), so my cervix may not be "incompetent" as they have thought. In any case though, I've still been advised to do light to moderate exercise, which means walking. I am still prone to pre-term labor because of a uterine septum and my cervix issues, so they're just being cautionary and saying I should hold off on major exercise for another month. Over the next month, I'll have a string of appointments at the hospital each week, including ultrasounds, a routine glucose test for diabetes, a tour at the hospital, and we'll start a 4 week series of birthing classes.

Went to visit Dad and drop off some stuff they left at the house, like the catheter, a pair of shorts, and his board to look at the newspaper. Bernice was getting ready to go to Lindsey's basketball game, and Uncle Frank was coming over to stay with him for a few hours. I showed Dad the ultrasound pictures and explained to him what the doctors said, then put his hand over my belly so that he could feel the little guy move. I asked him how he had been since he got back to Bernice's house. He said he was tired, fell asleep at 5:30 this morning, which has been his usual trend this week.

I told Dad I was going to take one of his financial folders, friends' addresses, and two boxes of photos that we have been meaning to sort through for some time now. His clothes were in a garbage bag on the lanai. Dad asked me if I got the new checks yet and kept reminding me to tell Jay to check on them. I told him I still had his wallet and money at home. He told me it was okay and to hold onto them.

Dad was very lethargic, had no voice, and was straining to breathe the whole time I was there. I took off his shirt because he was hot, bent his legs, and then later he got cold. He's been fluctuating in temperature a lot this past week. He asked me to check with Bernice about the schedule, about caregiving for him. I told him and Bernice that I may just visit for now, but he wanted Uncle Gary to come by tomorrow and he wanted Jay to check in with Bernice. I told him to be strong and that I loved him, then gave him a kiss.

Uncle Frank had gotten there and would be with him for a few hours, to feed him dinner and hang out with him for the evening. I was exhausted, as I think Junior is going through a growth spurt, so I went home around 6:30 pm, ate dinner that Jay picked up for me, and then went to bed early at 9:30 pm.

No comments: