Sunday, April 29, 2007

Open Mic Sharing From Friends

To Those I love and Those Who Love Me
(Read by Dept. Parks & Recreation coworker/sports buddy, Bert Fishman)

When I’m gone, release me. let me go-
I have so many things to see and do.
You mustn’t tie yourself to me with tears.
Be happy that we had so many years.

I gave you my love. You can only guess
How much you gave to me in happiness.
I thank you for the love you have shown,
But now it’s time I travel on alone.

So grieve a while for me, if grieve you must.
Then let your grief be comforted by trust.
It’s only for a while that we must part
So bless the memories within your heart.

I won’t be far away, for life goes on.
So if you need me, call and I will come.
Though you can’t see or touch me,
I’ll be near.
And if you listen with your heart,
You’ll bear
All my love around you soft and clear.

And then, when you must come
This way alone,
I’ll greet you with a smile and
“Welcome Home”


Remembering John: A Eulogy by Dept. Parks & Recreation coworker, Garry Loo

I first met John when I was a Recreation Director at Kahala Community Park many years ago. We enjoyed playing Volleyball and Basketball together and became close friends, going out after games or tournaments. We played in many HGEA Basketball and Volleyball Leagues, even going away on trips to the neighbor islands. We competed together in several Haili Volleyball tournaments and even roomed together. A group of fellow employees enjoyed going to each other’s houses monthly, and that group included Rodney, Howard, Dexter, John and me. In addition, John enjoyed practically any sport.

His career began as a State Employee at the Boys home in Kailua. He then transferred to the Parks & Recreation Department, making $2.06 an hour in 1969 at Palolo. He continued to work at various sites including Manoa, McCully, ‘Aina Haina, Kualoa, Kalakaua, Kapio’lani Park and ended his career at McCoy Pavilion.

I first found out about John’s condition over two years ago from a mutual friend of ours, Clyde Ching, who, like John, played on the Men’s VB team at the University of Hawaii. At that time, John was pretty secretive, and did not want everyone to know about it. Upon visiting him after he contracted the disease, I focused on renewing our friendship that had been dormant for so many years. Together with Shelton, we set up an opportunity for him and his family to meet the UH Wahine VB team and enjoy snacks with them in the hospitality room. It was touching, since anyone who knew him, knew he had season tickets for the Wahine I vowed to help in any way I could, forming a bond with former and current Recreation staff that included Keora, Todd, Rodney, Howard, Barbara, and Roger. We continued to see him at least once a month, at first, taking him to different restaurants, a movie, and even to see Christmas lights: finally ending up taking food over to the two different houses. About 2 months ago, we split our group up, trying to provide more visits to the house. The last several weeks, Keora and I kept in touch with him much more frequently & when she was unable, I kept spending my lunchtime at the house.

He was amazing at remembering so many things from the past, and always put himself in a position to, while watching Sports, Coach while talking to the TV or anyone else that was in the room who would listen!

It was on a Saturday, and after our complex Easter Egg hunt, that we decided to drop by the Sierra house, since it was a little early to go to a VB Tournament that my daughter was playing in. Unfortunately, the rest of the team stopped by McDonalds and my daughter was saddened and grumpy by the fact that she could not join them. Nevertheless we went & visited for awhile. Just before we left, John stopped them and said to my wife Sherrie and daughter Tani, how thankful he was to them for sharing me with him. He further told them how very grateful he was for all the things that I have done for him and wanted to let them know how much it really meant to him. Needless to say how touching that moment was for all of us. The 85 steps up to the road seemed so difficult with all those tears in our eyes trying not to hang on to those loose handrails, for fear the we would fall back downward, starting the trek up again! At the top of the stairs, Tani turned to me to say that she was so sorry for being selfish. What a lesson in life that was…for ALL of US !
Thank you to Bernice, Tanya & Chris and Jason for allowing me to be a part of the family and say a final farewell to John on that fateful Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning. It has been a long journey.

John’s favorite song was Follow your Road, by Seawind, featuring Pauline Wilson, whose lyrics read:
"So many roads it seems that lead down to the sea,
I wonder which road will be the right one for me
Have you wondered where your road will lead you?
Maybe to the bright day of sunshine, or a starry night in heaven
Or it might be you’re afraid to go, afraid to go
But you’ve got to follow your road, or you’ll never know, never know."

May you take with you the love, strength and courage that you have shown us all and how these characteristics will continue to touch so very many of our lives forever, May this last road be a very peaceful one for you amd your family.

With Love from all of your fellow recreation 'ohana…… Me ke Aloha Pumehana

No comments: