Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Figuring Out His Needs

Tuesday, 10 April 2007

As I got ready for work this morning, I could hear Dad mumbling. Not quite sure if he was talking in his sleep or trying to tell me something. A few times his voice would get louder, and I would go out from the bathroom to see what he wanted. I moved his head, changed his pillow to mine (which he soon spit up all over, along with his face and neck because I didn't hear him soon enough), gave him sips of water, and wiped his face down. I thought he asked for mouthwash at one point, but when I showed it to him and asked "Do you want this?", he just fell back asleep. Jay, according to his constant grinding of teeth, was fast asleep on the couch. I'm sure he had a long night.

When I got home from work at 1:30 pm, Bernice was visiting with him. He was complaining of being hot, but we took his temperature, and it was fine. I think it's just the weather. It's very humid and muggy, inside and out. So, even I took a nap. Another friend, Don, tried to visit, but Dad was so out of it, that he just dropped off manapua with us and will try for another day. Uncle Gary and Auntie Stevi visited for about an hour. Every once in awhile, amongst grinding teeth (it runs in the family), Dad would open his eyes and mouth something, looking for me as far as his eyeball will go. I'm pretty good at deciphering and reading his lips. But, it took the three of us to finally figure out that he didn't want to be turned over completely, but just wanted to be turned to the right for a moment, then laid back down, with the pillow removed from under his head.

He needs to catch up on his sleep the rest of the day, since last night was a pretty restless, difficult night for him. The respiratory therapist adjusted the level of his bi-pap today and taught Jay how to adjust it in the future so we can do so to make Dad comfortable. He simply was not able to breathe and get air properly last night. His body is getting weaker and not able to trigger the exhalation he needs, even with the added pressure.

Although his face was scrunched up in a frown most of the time when he was frustrated with me not understanding what he wanted, at one point this afternoon, he grimaced. He realizes it is hard for us to understand him without a voice. I told my aunt and uncle, "Well, at least he still has his sense of humor." It's going to take some adjustments and time for us to figure out his needs from now on.

No comments: