Monday, April 16, 2007

The Move

Monday, 16 April 2007

Bernice took him back to her house in Palolo today. We (my brother and I and the Hospice staff and his doctor) were not in agreement with moving him at this point in time because his condition has left him in a weakened state. So, we all refused assistance in moving him. And, so she got friends and ambulatory services to help move him and his things. The move was suppposed to take place around 11:30 am, but when I called Jay, he said they were assessing the situation and trying to figure out how to move him up our crazy stairs up the side of the mountain. Jay just knew it would be a problem. He usually just carries Dad on his back, and can do it in half the time it would take three or more people to carry him up. But, he wasn't about to help today and stood strong to his convictions.

I haven't seen Dad yet, but will check on him later to see how he is. I hear he is really exhausted and tired from the move. Apparently, as Jay watched, they had a hard time carrying him along with his oxygen and bi-pap up our 85 steps to the driveway. It took 3 big guys carrying him in a bedsheet, a couple friends helping to carry his oxygen and bi-pap and car battery to make it all run. They hit all the railings down on the way up (Sorry, Keora and Garry, but looks like all of your recent handiwork was ruined!), and two guys were climbing up the side of the hill at one point where the cement stair width only allows for one person. Jay told me that someone slipped and they sort of dropped Dad, but he maybe just hit his shoulder on the ground. By the time the guys got to the driveway, they were huffing and puffing like crazy.

A couple of Dad's Parks and Recreation friends helped settle him in the house as everyone split after they dropped him off. He was super exhausted from the move so he slept. The company came to pick up and disassemble the hospital bed in our living room, and then I cleaned and swept and rearranged our furniture back to normal. Uncle Gary and Uncle Ray came down to hear what happened and get the scoops on how the move went. They both stayed away during the action.

We'll see what happens. Bernice took a leave of absence from work. My brother and I are not happy with the way Dad's care has been handled in the past and as of recent, so we are not going to caregive in the same capacity as we did before. But, we will be there for my Dad for sure.

Last night, Chris and I had some private time with Dad as we fed him dinner while Bernice went out with her friend. Chris made Dad laugh when he told him that I always fall asleep when we try to watch a show or movie on TV, and then I bug him in the middle of the night to find out what happened. And, everytime that "Junior" moved and made my belly button look funny, I grabbed Dad's hand so that he could feel him moving and kicking. It was nice to see a big smile on Dad's face. It's been a tough journey. But, we're all hanging in there. I hope Dad is doing okay, and, even though it's been quite a week of turmoil, I will visit him soon just to see that smile on his face again.

No comments: