Sunday, May 29, 2005

Each Day Brings New Challenges

Sunday, 29 May 2005

Today was a lazy day for me. I slept in way too late, watched my "Sex and the City" DVD, and caught up with some phone calls from family and friends, some I haven't seen in years. My dad and Bernie were out running errands all day, so I didn't go over to my dad's until dinner time. I brought some food to cook, and Bernie went to go exercise while I was there to keep Dad company. They decided to show me the procedure for bathing tonight. All went okay until Bernie attempted to transfer him from the shower. Guess he was really weak all day today (and actually he told me that he's been weaker ever since I've been here). Dad keeps commenting on how his arms have no muscle, pointing out the extra skin building up around his elbows and how it sinks in around his bones and the webbing around his fingers. Tonight, he couldn't lock his legs once we got him out of the shower, and then I tried to help pick him up from the back, but couldn't and felt him slipping; I was afraid we were hurting him (as his arms have lost nearly all their muscle), so he told us to set him down on the ground. But, when we set him down, all his body weight was on his legs, and this really hurt him, so we had to move his legs carefully out from under him and carefully lean him against the wall. It was a painstaking process, especially because sometimes my dad doesn't always communicate well, and so when something hurt, I wasn't sure which leg or arm he needed help moving. At this point, Bernie went to go get the belt to assist and asked her eldest daughter Whitney to stand by in case we needed her help. As Whitney and Bernie helped pivot him, then Whitney got his legs, and Bernie got his trunk, I held the walker chair in place and tried to push it under him. By the end of the process, we were all sweating. It was difficult to transfer him back into the recliner chair also. Bernie picked up nearly all of his 170 pound body using the belt to help. It was frustrating for all of us (my brother can just pick him up on his own), but I also know that I need to strengthen more and practice more so that my dad can feel confident that I can safely transfer and lift him. Each day does indeed bring new challenges.

Tomorrow morning, we are heading to Waihe'e Tunnel. One of Bernie's friends is leading two groups of people there for a hike to the falls, which are supposed to have healing waters. My dad first went there in September, when he was able to walk, before we even knew he had ALS. This time, he'll have to go in his wheelchair, but the whole family is going, so it should be good.

No comments: