Sunday, May 29, 2005

Give And You Shall Receive

Monday, 30 May 2005

Although at times I get sad, yet try to be strong during moments where being too helpful can sometimes be too much for Dad, I like to reflect on and remember the ways my dad has always reached out to others. My entire life, my dad has taught me what it means to be generous and thoughtful to others, whether it was by writing thank you notes when I was little to those that gave Christmas gifts to me; or us pulling over on the side of the freeway during rush hour, to help mere strangers that had car troubles on the side of the road. My dad has always been the good samaratin that way. That's one of the reasons so many people in the city know my dad.

On his birthday, when my brother was going to give him a lei, because my dad already had one on, he told him to give it to my aunt, since she is here visiting Hawai'i. That day, I gave him a couple of Aloha shirts from Thailand. When my uncle came over to take us to lunch, my dad was trying to give the shirt away to him. It's not that he didn't like it, but that he wanted to share. That's why I've always had a hard time getting gifts for my dad over the years because he always says he doesn't need anything, and the things I get him usually end up not being used or end up being given away. He's always been a simple man that way. Even as he raised me and my brother, although it was partly due to his "pake" ways, he would buy us plate lunches for dinner and just eat leftovers or some canned food in the pantry, rather than buying something for himself as well.

Since I've been home this past week, the extra attention he's now receiving can sometimes be too much. He says he's never had so many people offer to help. But, even though he's not used it, it's about time...others are here, and want to, help him. He just needs to be ready to receive it, as humbly as he has always given to others.

No comments: