Friday, May 13, 2005

Teaching and Visiting Koyasan

Friday, 13 May 2005

I can now add teaching in Japan to my resume of teaching abroad experiences. This morning, I went to the elementary school with Butchie (or Houser Sensei, if you may), and after taking off my shoes and turning them the right way (so that they face out towards the door), before I slipped on some house slippers, I introduced myself to the staff...in Japanese. Butchie taught me how to politely introduce myself: "Mina sama hashimemashte. Watashi wa Tanya desu." (Is that correct Butchie?) His first class was a kindergarten class of about five students. So cute sitting on their little chairs! We played some games and did basic introductory stuff, and of course I took pictures of the little ones!

Then he taught the older kids. I offered to help him teach, as he said he was really tired, and I didn't mind. Once I caught on to what he was trying to teach to them, I suggested a game I used to play with my kids in Thailand. I taught the kids the days of the week, with this kinesthetic movement sing-songy thing I do. We did a board racing game, to find the correct vocabulary words, and played concentration. Butchie and I team-taught the rest of his classes. It was a lot of fun. Somehow, even if I am on vacation, I miss teaching!

Before we had lunch, the kids had to prepare the room by moving all the desks into a circle formation. There was a prayer, and then we ate. But, I almost forgot to mention, before we even made it to the classroom, I was handed my lunch tray, and they had covered the trays with newspaper to keep the food warm. I started laughing immediately when I looked down at my tray, because looking straight up at me were ladies' buns in control top undies and pantyhose. I'm sure it was an oversight, but Butchie and I got a good laugh, and I saved the newspaper as a souvenir of my elementary school day visit in Japan.

We hurried to catch the train to Koyasan after lunch. As we ascended up the mountains, leaving the already quiet town behind, the air was a little crisper. After taking a cable car further up towards the top of the mountain, we entered this cute little town filled with temples, an enormous cemetary, a couple of schools, and a breathtaking view of lush, green mountains below.

During our walk through town, we were enjoying chatting in the sunshine, and all of a sudden, this motorcyclist, who was speeding awfully fast down this quiet two-way road, rammed right into this car turning in front of him! He had tried to brake a few seconds before, but he was already going way too fast to stop in time, and the guy went flying off his bike onto the street. We were only about a block away, and saw the whole thing happen right before our very eyes....I said, "Omigosh, I think he's hurt! He was going soooo fast!" And, all I could see were Butchie's huge eyes and a look of shock on his face. The motorist turned out to be okay, as well as the passengers in the car, but as we walked on, Butchie said that was the second freaky incident he's seen since he's brought visitors to Koyasan. And, I turned to Butchie and said, "Well, you know, today is Friday the 13th."

In spite of our freaky incident, we had a wonderful visit, as Butchie, like an awesome tour guide, told me all about the history and stories he has learned of KoboDaishi and Koyasan. He explained the different markers to me, the traditions of handwashing before entering a temple, lighting the candles and incense and praying properly before offering them, walking up each step sideways (without touching the lines!) towards KoboDaishi's tomb, and the significance of finding a three-pronged pine leaf from a special tree (which I now keep safely in my wallet!). The cemetary was amazing, with huge monuments and little statues dressed up in what looks like red bibs and little beanie caps, and the company section of the cemetary. Since most Japanese men spend many countless hours working rather than at home with their families, many choose to be buried with their company rather than with their family. Companies like Sharp TV, Nissan, and UCC (a coffee company) have elaborate headstones and statues to represent their respective companies and employees. It's actually pretty strange.

Koyasan (From the Lonely Planet Japan)

The headquarters of the Shingon School of Esoteric Buddhism, located in Kansai, Koyasan is Butchie's favorite place to visit in his town (hence he's been there about 17 times!). KoboDaishi, the founder, established a religious community here in 816. He is one of Japan's most famous religious figures and is revered as a Boddhisattva, scholar, and inventor of the Japanese kana syllabary and as a calligrapher. He is believed to be resting in his tomb, not dead, but meditating, awaiting the arrival of Miroku (Buddha of the future). It is popular for nobles and commoners to leave hair or ashes from deceased relatives close to his tomb, ready for his reawakening.

No comments: