Tuesday, June 12, 2007

"She Should Be!"

Tuesday, 12 June 2007

Chris wrote me an email from work today. Sincemy OBGyn works part-time at his office, he wrote to say that my doctor commented, "She SHOULD be!"....'in reference to “My wife is home in bed” comment as he overheard me talking to some of the other MDs about how you’re doing. You’re famous/infamous?'

Well, I have been. In bed. Sometimes I lie on my left side, sometimes on my right. And sometimes I turn around just to mix it up a bit.

With the TV turning off every hour or so - a little idiosyncratic quality of the old TV in my aunt and uncle's living room - (and then if someone is home, deciding who, whether it be my cousin, my aunt, my uncle, or the dog, is going to unplug and replug the wire, and turn the TV back on), it's quite humorous to figure out what my agenda is going to be for the next hour. Do a little bit of crossword puzzles, read a little bit of a book, eat some snacks that are on a tray near my bedside, surf the internet for baby stuff...the choices are endless! Of course, all from the reclined position.

Today, I actually got to leave the house a little bit (the first time in five days!), as my aunt and uncle dropped me off and picked me up after my appointment at the hospital. After I told them I didn't need a wheelchair and could walk myself to the elevator, my NST went well. The nurse remembered me and asked me how long I stayed in the hospital recently. She said it's a good thing she flagged me as needing to see my doctor that day. And, she asked me if I know what a contraction feels like now. Yes, I said. I had two today, and my fluid levels were fine. So, that's good. "Watch those contractions, and see you on Friday!" She said before I left.

My Auntie Stevie and I lazed around the house the rest of the afternoon, napping, watching TV, and talking about my cousins and the trials and tribulations of dating, grounding, and college aspirations.

Keora and Garry, Dad's Parks and Recreation coworkers, came by to drop off gifts for my brother and I. They made me a koa wood plaque with a picture of me and Dad from the wedding. Engraved below the picture, "Keeping the memory of DAD, who will always be there with you...Your Parks and Recreation Ohana." It's beautiful, and I will cherish it always, remembering how wonderful they were to Dad up until his final days.

I updated them on my bedrest status, and they updated me on the planting of the tree (in memory of Dad)at McCoy Pavilion. They are still trying to get approval from the city council, but will let us know when the planting will take place. Finally, they gave me a gift certificate to my favorite restaurant, Shokudo. I'll get to enjoy that one day, perhaps on a date night after baby is born (many many months from now??).

Until then, I'm being a good patient and am staying in bed....or else there's been talk of hanging me upside down by the ankles!

No comments: