Thursday, September 04, 2008

Boys I Tell You

Thursday, 4 September 2008

Even though this week was a short work week (Labor Day on Monday and a professional development day for teachers tomorrow), our family is still getting over our colds, so it turned out to be a pretty long week. Many sleepless nights with a screaming baby, which meant rolling out of bed in the morning (no tumbling baby this time though), and rolling on in to school (I seem to be getting there later and later this year without having time to eat breakfast - unless you count my scrambled eggs in a ziploc bag as "breakfast on the go" - or make my lunch).

Besides our sleep deprivation returning, we've also realized that weaning Chase is going to be more difficult again. It seems as if every time he gets sick, we take a setback in our sleeping/eating/drinking routine. Chase has definitely been nursing round the clock. Tonight, he screamed for at least half an hour after being put down in his crib. But we let him cry it out, and when I discovered, after my shower, that he was still screaming, I decided to nurse him. After awhile, he just wanted to be wide awake and play, the wiggly monkey boy he is. He started crawling and climbing all over me, kicking me in the face, pulling my shirt down (after I'd pull it back up), and rolling all over the place, jumping up and down (all the while still attached and nursing now). After half an hour of that (and trying to pretend I was asleep), I finally gave him the sign for "all done" and he gave me this surprising blank look. Suddenly, he lunged over, opened his mouth, and bit me on the shoulder! Then he gave out this devlish, growling laugh. Bad boy! I picked him up and headed straight to the crib. He knew it was coming and tried to bite me a couple more times, but I just put him down in the crib screaming, told him "I love you and goodnight" and shut the door. This time, he only screamed for a couple minutes before going out.

Boys I tell you....They love the boob, but then they turn around and bite you.

No comments: