Saturday, November 29, 2008

33 Years and Counting...

Saturday, 29 November 2008



Started off the birthday with a great yoga class this morning. It's always nice to do hot yoga when it's cold and wet out.
When I got out of class, there was a message on my cell phone. I never get phone calls at 7 in the morning. Checked my messages and it was Chris and Chase singing "Happy Birthday" to me, although Chase didn't really sing at all. I think I could hear him breathing on the phone though.

It turned out to be a day of eating. Chris made my usual scrambled eggs for breakfast. We met friends for dim sum for lunch. Miya had done a wonderful job of assembling people last minute to go eat dim sum. The 5 boys were there. The thing I love about dim sum is that the food just comes right out. You pick what you want and they just pile all the little tasty morsels on the table. It was faster than a fast food drive inn! We ate to our hearts' content, then Miya brought out a cake that said "Happy Birthday, Tanya" (When did she get this all done in the last couple of hours?) She brought candles and plates. The boys had fun helping me blow out the candles, though I REALLY blew them out because no one wants spit all over the cake. Chase was mesmerized by Aiden and his dinosaur toys. It was nice to get together and enjoy lunch with some friends.

We headed to the mall, and I shopped and got waxing done while Chris and Chase went to go wish Popsicle a "Happy Birthday" (Chris' dad has the same birthday as me.). It's always fun to have great conversations with your esthetician, as we gabbed about Halloween costumes and ex-boyfriends. Hairstylists and estheticians find out all the gossip, and then you return every month or so to continue the stories.

They picked me up, and off we went to dinner. We went to a nice Japanese restaurant recommended by my friend. We were the second table seated and we were there for a couple of hours. Chase only wanted to be seated for about 10 minutes. Then, Chris had to clean off all the sticky rice molded all over Chase's clothes and fingers. We took turns entertaining him because he just wanted to be loose. Chris did most of the entertaining (after all, it is my birthday), and I kept sending Chris out in the rain to go get wipes, go get a book, go take Chase for a walk, and go get this and that for Chase. It would have been better if we had someone watch Chase, but our other sitter option, Aunti Stevi had her birthday today too. Kinda hard when everyone has the same birthday. At least Chase wasn't fussy. He was just super active. But, the chanko nabe we ordered was delicious. Fresh veggies, tofu, chicken, shrimp, clams, crab, salmon, and mochi in a savory, simmering broth. We had a few of our favorite morsels of sushi (unagi for me and ume for Chris), and finished off with some udon noodles at the end.

Well, not quite...We actually finished off the night with Bubbies ice cream in sugar cones....Mmmm!!!...Got Chase home, bathed, and to bed. Took a couple more phone calls from friends, then watched a movie with Chris.

One of my friends in Seattle sent me a card and said, "I hope you have a terrific birthday - maybe Chase will be sweet and easy, you'll get some fun "me" time and dinner will be waiting for you on the table....a girl can dream right?!" Well, my dream must have come true because it was a full day of eating and fun with my friends and the family...a pretty terrific way to spend my 33rd birthday.


No comments: