Thursday, December 11, 2008

Nasty, Wet Weather

Thursday, 11 December 2008

Talk about a super nasty day! I don't remember it being this bad in a long time. I think the last time it was like this was when I came on vacation from Seattle in the winter time, expecting sunny, blue skies, and all we got was wet, wet, wet. Wet is actually an understatement. Many schools on the North Shore were actually cancelled today due to no electricity and flooding. Never have I had to use my umbrella to walk around out campus. But, since we have a totally outdoor school (not housed under one main building like schools on the mainland), EVERYTHING was getting wet. I had to catch coats that were flying around in the rain, backpacks had to be brought inside the classrooms, and when you entered a classroom, you had to close the door real fast before the rain and wind slammed you against the door! One kid even borrowed my umbrella to go to the bathroom. I brought my Seattle boots out just for the occasion. Good thing I did, because the lawns were so full of water, that they were flooding onto the sidewalks/footpaths. We decided to just go into all of our classrooms today instead of pulling out kids and having them walk down to our room through the wetness. When I left school, the rain had died down, but it looked like a hurricane had gone through the town. Many branches and debris were on the road, lots of traffic lights were out, and it was just a wet, wet day.

When we got home from the doctor's/pharmacy (Chase, yet again, thanks to the VOG, sick season, and being in a daycare setting with other kids, is dealing with a sinus infection and a bad cough/wheezing.) to get Chase's antibiotics (He actually really loves the medicine!) and cough medicine, I came home to a very wet lanai. Thank goodness we had closed all the windows before we left. Everything was strewn about. All the shoes outside were soaked. Buckets were full of water, and stuff had blown down into the yard. It was pretty crazy, not to mention Chase scared me when he flipped over a bench backwards and fell flat on his back, hitting his head on the tile floor of the mall. But, he's okay. He ran around like crazy after a bit of consoling from Mommy. I think the kid's got a pretty hard head.

It would have been a great night for hot yoga, but I debated going Christmas caroling with the ALS Support Group, and when I passed on that due to Chase's sickness and the inclement weather, I passed on yoga as well.

Let's hope tomorrow is a drier day! Shucks, we really should have planted more grass seed though. It would have gotten a good watering today!

No comments: