Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Visiting Daddy's Workplace

Wednesday, 3 December 2008



For a couple hours this afternoon, I got to experience what it is like to work in an office. Security badges to get through every hallway and doorway, cubicles galore, and because it's the holidays, much Christmas decor (no I did not mean for that to rhyme). I admit that cubicle culture is foreign to me, having only worked as a teacher in schools and in restaurants/bars. I wonder how anyone gets any work done. (Though I have to admit, the Christmas decorations were quite impressive. Perhaps I can get some people to come over and decorate my classroom.) I teased Chris about his desk because it's just as messy as he is at home, with about 3 pairs of random shoes strewn about and papers covering his desk. Why did they put him near the front of the aisle? Peer pressure, I said. "Perhaps you should clean your desk." Chase found some nice treasures in Daddy's cubicle. He left the office holding a little reindeer and bright blue Peeps stuffed animal.

Today was Keiki Arts Festival. It is the only day the entire year that kids and spouses are invited into the building. Though we didn't submit a drawing for Chase, the biggest thing is getting to take a picture with Santa Claus (which Chase just hated and whimpered through the whole 5 second sitting, even though a kind elf tried to distract him with her colorful bells), the balloon making (which took us half an hour, though some people waited an hour), and of course, the refreshments. We sat Chase down for the face painting while I saved his place in the balloon line. Amazingly, he sat very still to get a Christmas tree painted on his leg and a red stocking painted on his hand. There were such neat balloon things made, like a rattle (with two little balloons inside a clear one and a handle that the baby could shake), Elmo, and reindeer. We got a dog made for Chase. He loves it, and immediately made the doggie walk on the floor and said "Woof woof".

Daddy was so excited for this day because he got to show off his son to all of his coworkers. They all told me how proud a Daddy he is, and they tried to figure out who Chase looked like, me or Chris.

We celebrated our belated birthdays tonight at the Halsalls with fettucine alfredo, the ritual of magic candles on birthday cakes (which Chase thought was just hilarious!), and presents. Of course, Ron (my father-in-law) and I had to have our own cakes.


1 comment:

Teresa said...

Great slide show, Tanya! It doesn't look like sitting on Santa's lap was much fun for Chase. I wonder if he will find it more appealing next year. A belated Happy Birthday to you,
too!