Tuesday, May 16, 2006

How Important is Eating and Living Healthy To You?

Wednesday, 17 May 2006

This afternoon, at my dad's, a telemarketer called and asked if my dad wanted to participate in a survey. Since he has to talk on the speaker phone, I heard the entire conversation, and I was laughing and making faces at my dad in the background. Here are some excerpts of the 20 minute phone call:

Telemarketer: Do you believe walking for at least 30 minutes per day is good exercise?

Dad: Yes

Telemarketer: How many minutes do you exercise each day?

Dad: Uh.....

Telemarketer: How many times do you eat out per week?

Dad: 6-7 days per week

Telemarketer: How many servings of fruit and vegetables do you eat?

Dad: 2 servings

Telemarketer: How many days of daily exercise do you do?

Dad: Uh, well, you see... I'm probably not a good candidate for this study. I can't.

Telemarketer: Has your doctor recommended exercise for you?

Dad: No

Telemarketer: Would you consider yourself very healthy, somewhat healthy, healthy, not healthy at all?

Dad: Somewhat healthy.

Telemarketer: How many hours of TV do you watch per day?

Dad: 15 hours. (!!)

Telemarketer: What do you do most of the day? Stand, walk, sit, etc.

Dad: Sit

My dad and I were laughing. He finally had to tell the lady that he has an illness that prevents him from exercising or doing any physical activity, being wheelchair bound. So he answered the rest of the questions with his "attitude" towards living and eating healthy. It was quite funny though. We thought, geez, this lady must think he's such a bum!

It's good that we can laugh about these things sometimes.

No comments: