Monday, August 28, 2006

Oama Fishing

Sunday, 27 August 2006

After yoga this morning, I headed to Kaneʻohe to meet Joel. He already had the truck and cooler ready to go, and soon we were on our way to Hickam Air Force Base. We checked out a couple of spots and then ended up staying at one spot. Our first task: To catch some bait, since on our way there, we realized we had everything except we forgot the bait! How in world are you going to catch bait with just a hook?! Well, it took us about half an hour, but Joel finally caught something. We ripped up the oama and used that for bait. For the next hour or so, Joel caught oama here and there, but it took me awhile. They just werenʻt biting. I finally started catching up, catching about a dozen fish, half of them being baby Papio which we had to throw back since itʻs illegal to keep them. Joel cast out another line from shore, but the only thing we reeled in was an eel. After I cut my heel on the coral, the tide started getting higher, and then more people showed up, making it a bit crowded to stand in the water knee-deep with everyone else, I took a break. We headed home soon after that with about thirty oama. Joel and I got Mexican food near his house, and I was starving since we hadnʻt eaten lunch! Ate some more when I got home, and chatted on the phone with Maila and Stacy, who had Maiʻs baby shower today in Seattle. I slept well, exhausted from the sun and the water.

No comments: