Sunday, August 27, 2006

Phillippines, Bowling, Fishing, and Greekness

Friday, 25 August 2006

Since I knew I was going out tonight, I went to 6 am yoga, and made it a little late to work...Just as well, it was picture day today, so I didn't necessarily have my regular classes. When I did have kids though, I found myself getting really tired as I was reading to them...You know it's bad when you're reading a story and your eyelids are getting heavy.

Took my Auntie Stevi to a dinner banquet with other ALS support group caregivers. Divina, one of the caregivers (she reads her husband's lips as he is virtually entirely paralyzed and is on a ventilator), belongs to the alumni association for the University of Phillippines. She wanted to give us caregivers an opportunity to go out and have a nice dinner, some respite from caregiving, so she had people donate and "sponsor" us. About ten of us went. There was good food, an assortment of desserts, and interesting entertainment, from the father and son guitar/violin duet to the Filipino man singing his rendition of a popular 50's song.

Saturday, 26 August 2006

Went to 7 am yoga. Then went off to volunteer at the Safeway in Hawai'i Kai. I sat outside the entrance of the Safeway and collected donations for Muscular Dystrophy Association for four hours. At first I felt bad asking people, because I know when I'm in a hurry to shop, I don't like to be pestered. But, funny thing is, when I wasn't paying attention, (and working on writing spelling flash cards for school), that's when people would donate. So I tried a different tactic, by offering people MDA newsletter pamphlets to find out more information on MDA. Some stopped to talk to me about people they knew who had ALS, and others offered their change on the way out. One mother had her little boy put a dollar in the box, and she told him it was because "her daddy is sick, and this will help him." At 2 pm, I packed up and hurried over to the other side of the parking lot to buy a hulihuli chicken (barbeque grilled chicken), which Safeway was doing as a fundraiser for MDA as well. I was starving as I didn't get to gorge after yoga, so I went home and scarfed down my half chicken, then took a nap.

Went with Linh and the boys to join her coworkers in celebrating a friend's birthday by cosmic bowling at Pali Lanes in Kailua. It was a fun time, with about twenty of us and three lanes. I bowled two games and won both in my group, with a 115 and a 109. Not my best scores, but at least I broke 100.

Good thing I'll head to yoga tomorrow morning, as my shoulder will need some stretching out. I had fun...It was cute to see the kids bowl, especially four year old Keoni tapping the ball down the lane. It's been awhile since I've gone bowling! But, I think my voice is gone from all the cheering!

Sunday, 27 August 2006

On the agenda: yoga, oama fishing with Joel, and maybe the Greek Festival?

No comments: