Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Chinatown Excursion

Wednesday, 29 June 2005

Today, I took Dad and Uncle Jimmy on an excursion to Chinatown. We ran some errands first, getting one of Uncle Jimmy's prescription refilled, depositing checks at the bank, and getting Dad's Handi-Van bus pass. We stopped by a lunch place in Kalihi to get cone sushi, teri hamburgers, and long rice, then, we headed to downtown Honolulu to walk through the nostalgic streets of Chinatown. Uncle Jimmy wanted to see the old markets that their mother, my grandmother, used to shop at. We walked past the fish markets, pigs hanging and being filleted (I took pictures to share with my friends in Thailand, as Nakhon Pathom was the biggest exporter of pork, so we often saw a lot of filleted pigs in the back of pickup trucks.), and bought some long squash and chinese fish cake. We bought some char siu (barbeque pork) and roast pork, but first got samples of course. Yum! We ate our food in the Maunakea Market food court. We did a lot of walking in the sun, took pictures of the fish, vegetables, pigs, and the ocean views of Aloha Tower Marketplace. By the end, both Uncle Jimmy and my dad were tired. Had some difficulty getting Dad into the car, but I just had to let my dad rest on the floor of the parking lot before Uncle Jimmy and I picked him up again. Drove through Ala Moana Park, Waikiki, and Diamond Head before heading back to Long's to pick up my uncle's prescription and taking him home so he could rest and do his dialysis.

I'll cook dinner tonight with the buys from our Chinatown excursion, making squash soup with chinese fish cake, to go with our roast pork and char siu, as well as some Chinese take out leftovers. It was good to get out and enjoy catching up with Uncle Jimmy, as we both reminisced about Hawai'i landmarks and the old buildings of Chinatown.

No comments: