Monday, June 27, 2005

Heading Home to Hawai'i

Monday, 27 June 2005

After a whirlwind visit with friends and ten days of purging and rounding up my belongings in Seattle, I left Seattle with boxes of photo albums, clothes, and teaching books still in Marissa's basement. I'll have to get those things on the next visit to Seattle. Marissa dropped me off at the airport at 6:30am. I managed to trudge along my heavy suitcase, a little suitcase, and a framed print to the check in counter. I should have been charged an additional fee for my suitcase being 20 pounds over the weight limit, but because of the long lines, the woman ended up waiving the fee for me. I met up with my dad and Bernie who were already checked in (and they had checked in a couple of boxes for me as well).

Boarded the plane with my chai tea and had a lovely sleep the whole five and a half hours back home. I think I woke up only for the meal and the landing. Since I arrived an hour and a half before my dad, I gathered up all the luggage and boxes. When my Uncle Gary picked us up, there weren't any spare inches of space left for anymore people or luggage with three suitcases, two duffle bags, a print, and two boxes among us. I got home and decided to unpack all of my things on the lawn beside our driveway. That way, I could give the borrowed empty suitcase back to my Aunty Jane and start my journey down the hill with small pieces. There was no way I was carrying heavy boxes and suitcases down 85 rickety wooden and cement stairs by myself! My aunt and cousin helped carry a few items down for me. Luckily, all my framed photos from Cambodia and pottery dishes made the flight unscathed. I spent the rest of the afternoon and evening decorating the house and my room and putting my clothes away.

No comments: