Monday, June 20, 2005

Visiting Former Students

Monday, 20 June 2005

Packed up a suitcase and my computer and met Jay and Toni at Pike's Place. After buying crab and walking through the market, we grabbed hum bows and piroshkys for lunch, then met at Steph's house to pack up the car. I gave Jay the option of taking either the heavy suitcase or computer back to Oregon. They drove down and will leave for Hawai'i on Wednesday morning.

I went to visit my old school I taught at, Sanislo Elementary in West Seattle. Got to try my Thai out on Thai students in kindergarten and first grade. They were excited that I had lived in Thailand before. In fact, as I helped out at Field Day that afternoon, supervising the Limbo station, little kindergartener Nara made frequent visits to say hello to Ms. Mau.

Many of my former second graders, who are now fourth and fifth graders, came by to give me hugs and ask where I've been. It was really cute. A few boys mentioned that Uso had written about me in his 5th grade memory book. Many asked if I were going to come back tomorrow for the 5th grade graduation ceremony.

Eric took me to get a bite to eat at a local Mexican place after school, and we chatted about my travels and visiting his friend Butchie in Japan.

Then, it was off to pick up Marissa at work. I dropped her off at her fiance Nate's house, then went rollerblading at Alki Beach in West Seattle to enjoy the sunshine and take some pictures of
downtown Seattle, ferries, and sailboats. It was beautiful and refreshing. A perfect way to spend a sunny, warm Seattle evening doing one of my favorite activities. Went to Steph and Michael's to barbeque some burgers and catch up on how my dad is doing.

No comments: