Tuesday, June 28, 2005

A Visit From Family and Friends

Tuesday, 28 June 2005

Back to the routine of things, my brother Jason went to my dad's after work, which for him, as a firefighter finishing his 24 hour shift, means 8 o'clock in the morning. After my dad had his Tuesday massage, I came down to relieve Jay. I brought lunch from my favorite Chinese stop down the hill, Kwong On, which has chow fun and chow mein noodles, pork hash, half moon, manapua and rice cake. We chowed down on lunch, then Jay left, and Dad and I hung out the rest of the day. We had several visitors who wanted to see how the trip was. My Uncle Jimmy rode my Dad's Harley down the hill to stop by and chat. We talked about his health condition, his kidney dialysis routine, and how the warm weather of Hawai'i (compared to the chilly weather in his home in California) has been good for his body and soul. My Aunty Jane dropped by with a haupia guava cake from Zippy's. We gossipped and chatted for awhile. I brought out the original letter she had given me that my dad wrote in 1972 in protest of the Vietnam War. Then, my Uncle Frank, a longtime friend of my parents', stopped by after work to talk about Alaska and our current political situation in Iraq as it relates to the rise and fall of the Roman Empire. My dad was pleasantly surprised by the friends and family that came to say hello. It was a nice homecoming indeed.

No comments: