Friday, June 23, 2006

Dating Adventures

Friday, 23 June 2006

What is it with these guys and their need to talk so much about themselves, name drop, talk about how much money they make, when I didn't even ask? The second date this week wasn't so bad, still not my type, but at least we had diving stories and photography to talk about. Last week and tonight's dates however were, well, interesting. I suppose he thought that it might impress me if he told me how many properties he owns and how much money he makes and how many degrees he has. And, I suppose the other guy thought it might impress me to know that he is getting his Master's degree and going to Law school next and has a fellowship and once worked for the mayor. He liked to name the prominent people he knew, and although he was surprised we both graduated the same year from high school and lived in Seattle, he had to name drop that he once met Paul Allen and once visited Bill Gates' home before moving to Hawai'i. When I mentioned Charlie Wedemeyer, he was more engaged in the fact that I could name drop too, without regards for the fact that it was because my dad has ALS (Lou Gherig's Disease) just like Charlie does. He talked about himself so much that I had already started eating, and he didn't realize that the plate of food was in front of him until about five minutes later (when he commented "Oh, I guess I should start eating." And, I said "Yeah, it's because you're so busy talking.") I know you're trying to put your best foot forward on the first date, but when you don't even ask about the other person (and he even answered a cell phone call while we were eating), and I can't even get a word in edgewise, that's pretty rude for anyone, but especially on a first date.


Tomorrow, I am going out with a guy I went out on a couple dates with last summer. Although I don't have high hopes for this one (I thought he was a "meathead" the last time I went out with him.), we reconnected recently and I figure, as long as he doesn't name drop or brag about how much money he makes (although he did just tell me that he bought a BMW motorcycle), at least we can have a fun time.

The most common realization these recent datees made is that I am not your typical "local Hawai'i girl", and it actually suprises them to find out that I am well-traveled and have lived life outside of Hawai'i. So my mission is to find someone out there that might have similar worldly experiences and stories to share. Otherwise, it makes for good blogworthy entries to entertain you readers out there.

No comments: