Thursday, June 08, 2006

Last Day of School

Thursday, 8 June 2006

I slept well last night, after a late yoga class, knowing that today was the last day of school. We (my two teaching assistants and I) worked on packing things up, tearing the posters and paper off the walls, and wrapping up the open shelves, while visiting students, taking pictures, and watching the kids receive awards at an assembly. It was a quick morning, done by 11:30 am, and a few parents stopped by to give us gifts. I ran around campus trying to take pictures with students who are moving this summer. Then, the staff had a celebration lunch at Willows, where we ate a buffet of Hawaiian food, prime rib, and many desserts. I left stuffed, with more gift cards (We each got Starbucks/Jamba juice gift cards to start off our summer, and I won a gift certificate back to the restaurant...Woo hoo!) and headed back to Dad's for the rest of the afternoon. We've all been complaining about the heat these days, as it heads into the high 80's/low 90's. When I bathe Dad, we've been leaving the curtain open or the door cracked just to let some air in because I'm sweating from perspiration by the time I'm finished showering him.

Since I overindulged today at lunch, I decided that my stomach was too full to eat anything before my 8:15 pm yoga class tonight (This is the preferred class now because the sun has gone down already.) Bad move...Anyone who knows us Mau girls knows that we get grouchy without food, which during a silent class of yoga means that I'm swearing in my head and cursing the fact that Anthony won't open any doors or windows between poses, or is talking so much during the pose that I swear he is making us hold each pose longer than 30 seconds or 1 minute. And, when you're lightheaded, trying to focus in a 100 degree room on breathing, trying to prevent your legs from shaking while keeping a straight, strong posture, it makes 30 seconds seem like forever! Plus, it makes the 90 minute class dreadful. It really wasn't horribly bad, but I know my body well enough to know that I need to eat every few hours or else my body and mind cannot handle doing a hot Bikram yoga class as strong as I'm capable of doing.

No comments: