Saturday, June 24, 2006

Motorcyle Diaries

Saturday, 24 June 2006

7 am yoga and then cleaned the house and cooked lunch for Chris and Jay who worked on cutting trees in the yard. Ian picked me up at 4 pm on his new motorcycle and we rode down to the Honolulu Hale, City Hall, downtown, where the Taste of Honolulu was taking place. We did a wine tour sampling of ten different wines, ate lots of good samples from various restauarants (mainly located in hotels in Waikiki). My favorites: sliced beef (it had a fancier name than that), kiawe smoked ribs, and the oreo cheesecake on a stick. The wine wasn't bad either!

We rode to Ian's house in Mililani, and as I held my empty wine glass souvenir, my water bottle, and a Hawaiian Sun juice, I noticed we were going as fast as 100 mph on his bike. With a cd player and radio volume that goes up as the RPMs increase, we had a comfy ride, even though I didn't have a helmet (no helmet law here in Hawai'i.) on. He apologized later for going so fast, but I had a blast!

Ian wanted to watch the Ultimate Fight Championship at home, and although I probably had more fun playing with his dog (a cute 4 year old Sharpei) rather than watching men beat each other up, it was kind of neat seeing the local Hawai'i guy win his title and a six figure contract. Other than that, it was just a bunch of boys fighting. So, then I asked him to drive me back into town. (My windblown hair and cheeks had enough motorcycle riding for the day.)

I changed and headed out on my own to meet Erica and friends at Kincaid's to listen to her friend's band. They played really good music and I had fun chatting up with her friends about the Pacific Northwest, teaching, and living in Hawai'i. As Kamehameha alums who have recently moved back to Hawai'i, we all had something in common to talk about. Plus, I haven't seen Erica in awhile, so it was fun to catch up.

No comments: