Thursday, June 29, 2006

How Yoga Changes Your Body

Thursday, 29 June 2006

Yesterday when I weighed myself after yoga, on an empty stomach, I was a particular weight. Then, after my gallavanting during the day, and a few drinks later, when I weighed myself in the evening, I noticed I had gained 5 pounds! Can that actually be true?!

Well, this week, two of my yoga teachers and fellow yoginis have commented that I have lost weight. I don't routinely weigh myself, but I have noticed my body changing. After practice this morning, someone asked me, "How much weight have you lost? You look really toned." Apparently, I've lost about five pounds around my waistline and am becoming more toned in my abs. I am proud of that, and know that it's probably because I always push myself in each class. Perhaps it is because I've bumped my practices up to 5 or 6 days a week. My goal is to go everyday, but I'm not quite there yet.

It is interesting too because my eating habits have changed. The more I do yoga, the more my body rejects "bad" processed, oily, and heavy food. Hence, I have been drinking a lot of fresh squeezed carrot and apple juice, salads, and yogurt for dessert. Anyone who knows me knows that I eat like a pig, but graze like a cow. I still do indulge in snacks every once in awhile, knowing that it'll make me feel sick later.

Again, I become a spokesperson and advocate for how great Bikram yoga is, no matter how torturous and insane the 90 minute practice may sound. Funny thing is, it was a little overcast outside this morning, and I was actually cold when I walked out of the 100 degree class! But, now I've worked up an appetite and am ready to eat!

No comments: