Friday, September 15, 2006

Nina's Wedding Is Tomorrow!

Friday, 15 September 2006

Just waiting for my friend Joy to pick me up for the drive out to the beach house near Kualoa. After a week of being sick, not going to yoga for a couple of days, and then going one night to sweat out all of my toxins and drain my nose (while standing in the farthest corner of the yoga studio so as not to get anyone sick or gross anyone out), I lost my voice yesterday and today. Last night was the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner for Nina's wedding. I pigged out at the Chinese buffet after our "practice" walk down the aisle. Then headed out with the gals to Mai Tai Bar to hang out, and let Jesus Salud take our picture (only, we didn't know it was the famous boxer until after he had taken our picture...Then, we asked him to be in the next picture.)

Teaching today with no voice was quite interesting. The kindergartners whispered the sounds along with me, mimicking my voice, even though I told them they could speak up. One kindergartner, after asking what happened to me, told me that maybe there was a frog in my throat. One of my second graders asked me if I had gone to the doctor yet and to drink a lot of water so I could get my "broken" voice back.

I managed to sneak out this morning to go to the doctor and after almost leaving before I could be seen by the doctor herself, she rushed in to take a throat culture (Someone had strep throat in our school so I just thought I'd check.) and give me penicillin and Zyrtec. Fed my dad lunch, and he quickly scooted me out the door as I wasn't wearing a mask, and I can't get him sick.

So, now I wait with my bag packed, ready for the long drive out to Kualoa. We'll head to the church with our celery green dresses that Nina's mom made (and her tatoo artist brother airbrushed sakura flowers on) at 10:30 am tomorrow. Ceremony is at 12:30 pm at our alma mater, Kamehameha Schools. Then, off to the lu'au reception at Kualoa Ranch for dinner.

Should be a long, hot day. But, it'll be fun...And, Nina promised me that she won't make me make a speech or sing.

No comments: