Sunday, September 17, 2006

Nina's Wedding

Sunday, 17 September 2006

The day started at 7 am, when Sunny from the MAC counter came out to the beachhouse to do our makeup, and Nina's mom did our hair. We left at 11:30 am, a little behind schedule, with Joy driving us in her van. The ceremony went well, quicker than we had rehearsed, as Jon, the groom, was sweating bullets (Our high school chapel is beautiful with koa wood pews and kahili, but there is no air-condition.) Took pictures after we all signed the certificate, that which had white out on it because the wedding before had signed the wrong certificate!

Once we got back towards Kualoa side, we met the rest of the party to take pictures with the photographer, a college friend of Nina's. My feet hurt, and I was tired, which made me very critical of the photographer's style and pace. So, of course I took some pictures of my own as well.

Finally, we made it to the reception (just across the way from where we were) at 4:30 pm, just as my high school friends were leaving to get ready. Poor thing, they had missed the ceremony because they were there all day since 9 am helping to set up and decorate the reception!

Joy and Nina retied my dress several times in the night. After eating pupus and dinner, I felt like I couldn't breathe, and had to be retied again (only loosened this time!)...The food, which I still can't believe was prepared by Nina's father and brother (for over 400 guests!) was awesome! Everyone complimented the food and the artwork on our dresses and the groomsmen's shirts. Nina's other brother had handpainted sakura (cherry blossoms) on our dresses and airbrushed colorful koi fish on the guys' shirts.

Although I still had no voice, and my eyes became bloodshot by the middle of the night (I think the makeup and eyelash glue had gotten into my contacts.), it was great to see old friends from elementary school days and eat to my heart's content. This is one wedding where I've totally pigged out on raw fish, raw crab, opihi, squid lu'au, kulolo, haupia, kalua pig, and poi.

It took me awhile to clean and scrub the makeup off my face...Removing the eyelashes was weird, and my hair, well, that took some scrubbing too. Once I had my normal face back and showered, I crashed out! What a long evening (and I wasn't even the bride!)...It was such a wonderful event, put on by family and friends. Everything came together, and although the solar powered lights didn't work, and I missed Nina's hula, it was one of the loveliest weddings I have been to....a real celebration of family and friends.

No comments: