Saturday, May 19, 2007

Pregnancy Rash

Saturday, 19 May 2007

So, after waking up in the middle of the night and scratching my belly like crazy, then icing it with ice packs and having Chris hold my hands away so I wouldn't scratch some more, I woke up this morning and there are now itchy bumps on my forearms. Called the physician's exchange doctor, and she thinks it is PUPPP too, which happens to 1 percent of pregnant women. So, of course, woo hoo!...I'm the winner! I'm the lucky one! In fact, she had them when she was pregnant, and says that they will only get worse. The itchy bumps will spread to my arms, legs, butt, etc. for the rest of the pregnancy. If it gets really bad, at the end, they'll have to put me on steroids. But, they typically go away after delivery. She said if it gets progressively worse this weekend, I should see my doctor on Monday.

For now, I have to rely on Caladryl lotion, Benadryl (which should help me sleep through the night), and using ice cold gel packs and cold showers for temporary relief of itching.

So, on top of being on bedrest, I'm now turning into "rash girl". It brought back vivid memories of when I suffered from sun poisoning in Seattle one summer and had these itchy bumps all over my body for weeks. It was horrible, and I did all of the above for remedies. Just had to let it run its course. Guess this is Round Two. Oh, what fun!

Spending the afternoon at the Halsall's today to rest in a cooler house, sleep, and work on report cards, while Chris is mountain biking with his friends and my in-laws are working a craft fair. Trying not to scratch.

No comments: