Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Quick Doctor's Check

Tuesday, 8 April 2008

I took another sick day off from work today. Chase and I are still congested. I took him to see Dr. Sia in the morning but felt like he probably just has a common cold, so I was hesitant about going. Chris wanted me to go though, so it was more for peace of mind. I spent more time driving in and out of the parking garage than I did in Dr. Sia's office. Here's how the appointment went:

Dr.: Oh, so he still has a fever?
Me: No, that broke awhile ago. So, I think it's just a cold. I almost cancelled the appointment.
Dr.: No, that's okay. Let's see. (Checks Chase's ears, breathing, and throat) Yes, you're right. It's just a common cold virus. He has no middle ear infection, so no need for antibiotics.
Me: I've been having him sleep in the swing so that he's more upright so that he can drain more easily.
Dr: Oh good. That's helpful.
Me: And I've been showering him with me so that it can help loosen up his mucous. And he actually falls asleep in the shower! It really calms him. We've just been having to syringe his nose all the time, which he just hates!
Dr. Yes, that's good too. You can give him a Nasonex spray in each nostril so that should help him dry up a bit so you won't need to syringe him.
Me: Oh great. Thanks. I know he's just a baby and it probably takes him longer to get over colds since he doesn't know how to expel all the mucous.
Dr.: Yeah. Some say it takes a week and a half for babies to get over a common cold.

Dr. Sia shows me how to do the spray (which Chase doesn't like of course), and then we're off. Quick visit to the doctor's, but good to know that he's just got a cold and we're doing all that we should. I could tell that Chase was still sick because last week he let Dr. Sia do everything to him during the exam, and today he wouldn't even let him get at his ears or nose without a fuss.

I dropped Chase off at the Halsalls so that he could spend time with his Nana. It was nice to just go home and eat lunch and relax. I started doing laundry, the sheets and all my clothes that I have sweat through this week from being so sick. Time to disinfect the house!

No comments: