Monday, April 07, 2008

Sneezing and Coughing

Monday, 7 April 2008



I have spent the entire weekend confined in my house. I haven't left the house since I came home with Chase Friday afternoon (well with the exception of going to the doctor's on Saturday morning). Poor Chase has been sick since last week too, but doesn't have the flu symptoms like I've had. He has been sneezing and coughing a lot though the past couple of nights, trying to get the mucus out. We've let him sleep in the swing the past couple of nights because being upright helps him to drain a lot easier. When he sneezes, it's like this mass production. I yell for Chris to come help. I have to hold Chase's arms back so he doesn't mess it all over his face (if he hasn't already). Then I try to wipe what I can away with a soft tissue. Chase already anticipates what's going to happen next and fusses and turns his head away, arching his back. I have to restrain him in order for Chris to syringe his nostrils so that we can get some more mucous out. Poor thing. We may consider taking him to the doctor tomorrow if he doesn't get better. I think he's on the road to getting better. But, it's not like he knows how to blow his nose or clear his throat, so the mucous is just draining into his tummy if we don't catch it first. I don't want him to get worse. But, his affect seems fine. He still plays and laughs and smiles.

I'm not smiling yet, but hopefully I'll be better to go back to work tomorrow. I had to get a sub for today. I had to talk to the counselor and everything because we have state testing this week, and I am responsible for administering the test to several of my students. But, my sub is an old teacher from my school, so the counselor let it slide, "since I'm REALLY sick" (She even asked if I had a fever!) and I'll hopefully only be out one day this entire testing week. My fever and body aches are gone, but now I just have a really bad sore throat and congestion and a perpetually plugged up nose. The various box of tissues around the house have been my friends. I'm making sure to wash my hands good afterwards and use paper towels to dry my hands. We're disinfecting everything, including this computer keyboard!

Chris dropped off Chase at the Halsall's this morning so that I could rest. I'll pick him up after lunch. Chase and I have been getting lots of sleep lately, which is what we need to battle out these colds. Recently, Chase will go down at 7 pm. Then, he won't wake up until 3 am to nurse. I'll put him back to bed, and then he'll wake up for good at 7 am. Hopefully he'll keep that schedule after we're better...And hopefully Chris won't get sick either! Chris was considering going to work at McCully Bike tonight, and I said, "Um, I don't think so. I cannot take care of a sick baby when I'm sick like this myself." After some thought, he realized that he should just come home after his day job and see how we both are doing.

No comments: